Those of us living in south Florida have to ask ourselves, “Why would you want to live anywhere else?” Martin County Florida is such a beautiful location with a plethora of things to do and see. The abundance of outdoor activities here that us Floridians have access to 12 months out of the year is insane, especially since we have summer all year round. I know I know we’re spoiled.
Being that I am a local who grew up in Martin County, here are my top 7 highlights and a few insider tips of places to go and things to do around the area of Martin County.
1) If you love shopping, the historic downtown Stuart area is the place to be. This epicenter of Martin County is where most of the year’s festivities and events take place. Some personal favorite shops of mine in downtown include:
Gumbo Limbo – You’ll find the Alex & Ani bracelet collection here.
Earthtones – To get your hippy fix for all things Zen and eclectic.
April Daze – Who carries one of my all time favorite clothing brands, Free People.
2) When it comes to local hangs, coffee bar Blue Door is an awesome place to check out. Blue Door is one of the most unique coffee houses here in the Stuart area of Martin County. House Hunters used this location for one of their episodes recently. I’ll let you in on a local secret. Every Friday night behind Blue Door there is a PHENOMENAL taco truck called Mi Cabana. I’m talking authentic, homemade, fresh Mexican style food.
3) Terra Fermata is a great spot to catch concerts and local shows. There is always something entertaining going on here. It’s an outside Tiki Bar and music venue that hosts jam-packed music lineups throughout the year. Terra Fermata also has a weekly drum circle jam session every Monday night. A must-see if your in downtown Stuart.
4) Are you a recording artist and moving to the area? Then check out Rain Cat Recordings studio located right off Seminole street in downtown Stuart. Some local names that have recorded here include Ryan Owens, Cerveza, Finn, Maia Ryan, and The Sovereign Sons.
5) District Table & Bar has been open for quite some time now. I’ve only recently eaten there for a birthday dinner and I must say this IS my favorite restaurant in Stuart, FL. The vibe at this restaurant leaves me feeling a little nostalgic for Gainesville style dining. There is something very hip and forward thinking about this place. The food here is farm to table. Therefore, it is always local and super fresh. The atmosphere is lovely and the wait staff is charming.
6) King Neptunes! By far my favorite seafood restaurant in the area. It is a TINY little restaurant right on the corner of Salerno road and Dixie Hwy, just over the railroad tracks. Because of the restaurant’s small space there is limited seating. They do not take reservations there so it pretty much works on a first come first serve basis. Typically, if you wait a few moments, a table will open up. I highly recommend their escargot. Yum!
7) If you’re looking for a serene activity that is also a great workout and lots of fun try paddle boarding. There’s a paddle board rental company, who’s name is escaping me, that allow you to either paddle river side or ocean side. As you’re heading towards Bathtub Beach down MacArthur Blvd, there is a little rental shop on the right. I believe it is owned by the Hutchinson Island Marriot Resort. You can either choose to paddle on the ocean (more advanced) or on the river.
I could go on and on about all my favorite things to do here, but these have to be my top seven picks.
Written by Amber Pitcher